The Home Interaction Program for Parents and Youngsters (HIPPY) is a free two-year, at-home early learning and parenting program that supports parents to be their child's first teacher.
Our play-based HIPPY program is designed to fit into a family's daily life; with a 60-week curriculum of learning activities to assist your child’s achievements at school. Parents and carers, with varying lifestyles, are supported by a HIPPY Mentor, resources and materials to complete short 10-15 minute daily activities, five days a week.
The Benefits of HIPPY
Our HIPPY program aims to suppport parents and families in the following ways:
- Encouraging children to learn in various ways.
- Improving a child's early understanding of language, numbers, listening and thinking.
- Increasing a parent's knowledge of their child's development and learning style.
- Strengthening the relationship between a parent and child through positive and engaging interactions.
- Providing opportunities for parents and carers to play an active role in their child's education.
- Developing confident parents and carers.
- Supporting parents and carers to build community links.
Who Can HIPPY Help?
Children turning four years old before June 30 of each year who can commence kindergarten may be eligible for our HIPPY program.
Our HIPPY program is currently available through Communicare for families residing in the following government areas:
- The City of Armadale;
- The Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale;
- The City of Gosnells;
- The City of Canning.
How Can HIPPY be Accessed?
For more information on how to become a HIPPY parent or details on our priority of access guidelines, please complete our Online Enquiry Form.
Where is HIPPY Located?
Our HIPPY Gosnells service operates from Cannington, Western Australia.
Our HIPPY Armadale service operates from Hilbert, Western Australia.
For more details about our locations please click here.
HIPPY is funded through the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
The Brotherhood of St Laurence holds the licence to operate HIPPY in Australia.