The aim of our Facilitated Community Support Groups is to assist newly arrived individuals and family refugee and humanitarian entrants to settle more easily into Australian life.
The Benefits of Facilitated Community Support Groups
Our services work alongside newly arrived individuals and families to assist them to develop practical skills to enable relationship building and personal development in the local community to maximise social connection and inclusiveness.
Our facilitated community support groups include:
- Life Skills In partnership with the Edmund Rice Centre WA, this group covers material devised to assist participants understand Australian culture and the maintenance and upkeep of a home in Australia.
- Conversational English This group is designed for newly arrived community members wishing to improve their English speaking skills in a practical, “everyday” setting.
- Women’s Multicultural Support Group This group encourages the health and wellbeing and, personal and social development of women from all cultural backgrounds.
*A crèche service is provided for all groups. Enrolment criteria applies. For more information and to enrol a child, please refer to our downloadable resources.
Who Can Facilitated Community Support Groups Help?
Our Facilitated Community Support Groups support individuals and families holding permanent residency and who have arrived in Australia within the past five years.
How Can Facilitated Community Support Groups be Accessed?
Our groups operate on the following days and times during school terms:
- Life Skills Thursdays 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Conversational English Tuesdays 9:30am to 11:30am and 12:00pm to 2:00pm Wednesday 9:30am to 11:30am
- Women’s Multicultural Support Group Fridays 10:00am to 12:00pm
Please complete our Facilitated Community Support Groups or specific Life Skills Online Enrolment Form to join one of our groups. Please note, all enrolments are assessed based on eligibility before a place can be offered.
Where are Facilitated Community Support Groups Located?
All of our Facilitated Community Support Groups operate from Cannington, Western Australia. For more details and hours of operation, please click here.
Our Facilitated Community Support Groups form a component of our Family Support Services which is funded by the Government of Western Australia Department of Local Government and Communities.