In June 2003, our Communicare Breathing Space program, the first residential Family and Domestic Violence men’s behaviour change program in the southern hemisphere, commenced operations as an alternative to removing women and children from their family home.
Our therapeutic community provides men with up to six months of accommodation while they undertake an intensive therapeutic program including individual informal counselling and case management in their behaviour change journey.
The Benefits of Communicare Breathing Space
Our Communicare Breathing Space program aims to maximise the safety of all women and children by providing residents:
- Opportunities to reflect and be accountable for their behaviour and the choices they have made.
- A structured program which supports and encourages learning, offers alternatives and assists men's capacity in understanding and taking responsibility for their violence, anger and abuse.
- An environment where access to information assists to develop positive strategies to resolve their difficulties.
- Referrals and links to services that meet the needs of each individual participant.
- An extended support service, counselling and assistance post the completion of the six month program for sustained behaviour change.
Who Can Communicare Breathing Space Help?
Our Communicare Breathing Space program is available to all men who have been abusive in their intimate partner or family relationship and is ready and willing to make long-term behavioural changes.
How Can Communicare Breathing Space be Accessed?
Men can access our Communicare Breathing Space program via a self-referral, referral by a supporting community sector organisation or through the justice system.
Our Communicare Breathing Space program can accommodate up to 33 men at a time so a wait list may apply.
To make a referral, please complete our online referral form and a member of our team will be in contact with you shortly.
Where is Communicare Breathing Space Located?
Our Communicare Breathing Space facilities are located in Calista and Maylands, Western Australia. For more details and hours of operation, please click here.
Our Communicare Breathing Space program is funded by the Government of Western Australia Department of Communities. We also acknowledge support from the Government of Western Australia Housing Authority and Lotterywest.